Friday, June 11, 2010

Defining Moments

I have been reflecting on the many struggles, blessings, and lessons that have allowed me to grown into who I am today. I watch people who struggle with family problems or money and I wonder why my life seems easy while others morn. I realize that my life is far from perfect, but I am so grateful for those moments that change me for the better. I remember the time I was the "bad" example of breast stroke for my swim team when I was young. I was so embarrassed. I made a choice that day to be good at at least one stoke or more so I could prove to them I was a good swimmer. I did just that when I was in the top lane for freestyle and backstroke. I learned I could set goals and reach them.

I remember when I got the news that my grandma had died. I didn't know what to do. I felt so alone at college while the family was gathering. She was one of my closest friends. I called her when I had questions about cooking or life while my mom was at work. I remember her sweet spirit every time I cook by a pan she gave me the Monday before she passed. It's like she knew I needed something to have that would remind me that she was still there. I have learned so many life lessons from my grandma. one about family. She always put family first. I want my family put first before any choices in life. Families are the most important unit and my grandma knew that. Now I will engrave that into my heart so my husband and future family know they are my first priority.

I remember the day I received the answer to marry Andy. I remember walking inside the Mt. Timpanogos temple so happy to be sealed to my best friend. I remember being so happy, I couldn't quit smiling. I was overwhelmed by having so many family and friends there to share that special moment with. I know that my grandma and many other family members where there that have passed through the veil.

Now as I get ready to start dental hygiene, I get so excited and yet so nervous. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever make it through mentally, spiritually, and physically. I have worked my butt off for 4 years that I should feel confident in my abilities, but I am shaky still. My thoughts have gone to the reasoning that when you make a correct life changing choice, Satan always has to throw something in the way to prevent that. I have been offered a full time job at the college, but I had to choose the job or dental hygiene school. I will finish school with no interruptions so the job was easy to let go. I will make school a defining moment in my life. I know it will benefit my future family. I know I have family and friends cheering me on, but I know that beyond the veil I have cheerleaders, my future children and past relatives.

I know that we are challenged here on earth with issues specific to us so we may grow. I feel as if we are all pearls being smoothed into something so precious and beautiful that we don't even know our true potential. Life is full of these defining moments, I believe it is how we learn and grow from them that molds us into our eternal selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment